Wednesday, June 25, 2008

You Know Kansas Means "Big Wind", right?

We had a dust devil in our front yard the other day. I could only see it because Josh had pulled several flowers apart and scattered them in the grass and the dust devil picked them up and whirled them around. I wish I had had my camera to capture it, but it was very quickly gone.

In Kansas the wind never stops. I can remember only a handful of days out of all the many years I've lived here in which the wind was barely a breeze. Most of the time it blows 10 - 20 mph. A lot of the time it blows a lot stronger than that. And with that much wind day in and day out, it tends to dry out the ground and surely you know what THAT means... it means we have to deal with a lot of blowing dirt.

Yes, I've just about given up on dusting. We live directly behind a parking lot and next to an alley. We have the windows open to cut down on A/C use. You can imagine just how dusty our horizontal surfaces get.

It bothers me most on the dining table and the dishes in the drying rack. (We don't have a dishwasher.) The kitchen sink is under two windows facing our backyard and, beyond, the parking lot. So, a lot of dust blows into our kitchen. It's just far too hot to shut those windows.

Well, dust aside, Bee has two games tonight. Her last three games were rained out. They called them early this year. Last year we were still out watching them play with lightning and thunder raging in the sky above us. (Metal bats and lightning... bad idea.)

She was very disappointed about the cancellations, but nothing we can do about the weather. They made up one game, but I don't think there's time left to make up the other two.

Josh's Blastball games are over. His coach made cookies for their last game (chocolate crinkles) and all the kids were thrilled! He starts swimming lessons next week.

Chris has been running every morning early. He likes to run through the neighborhood instead of on the track because he says it keeps his mind off the fact that he's running. LOL! Other than that, he's been a hermit this summer.

We're going fishing this weekend and hopefully we'll catch some fish this time! Maybe we can even use the tent! I'll have to go buy a new coffee pot to use over the fire. My old one disappeared.

Wish us luck this weekend!

Activities I'll be doing today: Keeping house, grocery shopping. (My two favorite activities, NOT!)

No comments: